Triumphant Tuesday: Breastfeeding Despite Faulty Information

In the age of information (internet, libraries, helplines, other media) ignorance is a choice and should never form a roadblock to breastfeeding. However after I declare this, a common retort is: “But there’s a lot of faulty information out there”. This is true. However when a mother utilizes two of her inner resources, she can overcome incorrect advice. What are these resources? They’re free, they don’t require a PhD or a trek around the earth. The resources are: common sense and parental instinct. Take this story as a perfect example:

“I gave birth via an emergency c section to a beautiful baby boy. I struggled with breastfeeding from day 1.

Faulty information #1: Forced separation


I was in a lot of pain due to the c section. When my son was 10 days old, my wound started bleeding. I had to undergo another operation because it turns out I had a serious infection. This required me to be in hospital for 3 days. During this time, I didn’t have access to my baby. I begged my gynae for my son to come to hospital with me. However he told me that hospital policy doesn't allow that because I will not be at the maternity ward but I will be admitted at a general ward. He also advised that my baby shouldn't come to visit as he might pick up infections. I quickly rushed to buy a breast pump and started pumping.

Faulty information #2: Breastfeeding and medication

During my first night in hospital the nurse told me that I could pump but I shouldn't give the milk to my baby as it was not safe because I was on medication. I was troubled by this so the first thing I did when I saw my doctor the next day was ask about it. He reassured me that it was fine to feed my son the pumped breast milk.

Pumping was hard work; I was heavily drugged and half asleep most of the time. I remember times where nothing would come out. This made me unbearably sad and I felt helpless. I couldn't even sleep because all I thought about was my baby. I didn't even know how to use a pump at the time. I would pump for an hour, sometimes 2 hours, and couldn't even get 100ml. Thankfully my boy never drank formula because what I expressed was enough (thank goodness for small tummies).

On my third day in hospital I begged my doctor to let me go home to my baby. He finally discharged me, however at that point I realized someone had stolen my wedding ring! My husband and I looked for it for about 2 hours. My husband wanted to fight with hospital staff but I told him to let it go. All I wanted to do was go home to be with my baby and breastfeed him. When I got home my mum was about to boil water to prepare some formula. I was so relieved that I got home just in time.

Faulty information #3: Intense pain is normal

When I was finally back home, the fun and games really began. I started having excruciating stabbing pains in my right breast. It felt like someone was pulling my breast from the inside. There were times when it was so bad that I would cry whilst nursing. I had no idea what was happening and was convinced it was something they gave me whilst at hospital. I called the clinic for advice and they told me to go and see my gynae, but he couldn't see me till the 6 weeks checkup. I then tried to call several gynaes for an appointment but was told they could only see me after a month.

I waited and waited, and when I did eventually see him he told me breastfeeding was painful and there was nothing wrong with my breasts. I was so angry. I wanted to ask him how he knew as he's never breastfed a baby before.

Faulty information #4: Three hourly feeds

I then took my baby to a paeditrician for a check up. He weighed my baby and plotted his weight on the growth chart. I was told he was 500grams below what he should be weighing. 

The paedictrician then told me to feed my baby every 3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. I asked him what should I do if he cries in between feeds, and he told me to let him cry and not give him the breast.

On our way home my husband and I were confused and our instincts told us that the doctor was wrong. How could we let our baby cry?

Faulty information #5: Top up with formula and introduce solids early

I had to return to my paediatrician for regular check-ups and each time I was told that my baby was still not gaining enough and I should top up with formula. My pediatrician also told me that I should start solids at 4 months. He even set up an appointment at 4 months to discuss how to wean. After doing research about when to start solids I cancelled the appointment.

Despite all the pain and bad advice I received from so-called experts I persevered. Although the tide of 'professionals' were against me, I had a very strong drive to breastfeed my son. I was determined to make it work. I went to a GP who told me to continue putting my baby to breast no matter how painful it was. She also diagnosed me with thrush (finally!) and  prescribed the appropriate medication. After 3 days I was pain free.

Faulty information #6: Can't breastfeed with psoriasis

But the fun didn’t stop there. I also developed psoriasis on my areola. I was very worried and was not sure if I could breastfeed with psoriasis as some online sources say that psoriasis medication can be dangerous to a baby. However more research, and a little common sense, led me to apply ointment onto my areola morning and night, then wipe it off before each feed.


I returned to work at 4 months (I'm in South Africa and we only get 4 months maternity leave here), but that didn’t stop me breastfeeding. I pumped for my son and also went home during lunch to breastfeed.

I'm glad I never gave up at the first challenge. I guess where there's a will there's a way.”


Get your own Bingo Card here.

Email me with your story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Shocking Things Facebook Finds Less Offensive Than Breastfeeding

Why Formula Feeders Visit Breastfeeding Websites

The Eroticism of Child Birth